We research in-depth and provide unbiased reviews and recommendations on the best products. We strive to give you the most accurate information. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Having the perfect saw is often a crucial aspect of working as a carpenter, either professionally or recreationally. If you need to process large amounts of wood, then having the right saw can make all the difference in the world. However, it’s not as simple as just using the first saw that you find. There are many factors to consider when looking for tools, and compact saws are no exception.
The 7 Best Small Circular Saw in 2023:
DEWALT ATOMIC 20V MAX Circular Saw, 4-1/2-Inch, Tool Only (DCS571B) QUALITY PRODUCT
Makita SH02R1 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Circular Saw Kit, 3-3/8″ Must Buy
WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw – WX429L Heavy Duty
TACKLIFE Circular Saw with Metal Handle, 6 Blades(4-3/4″ & 4-1/2”) BEST CHOICE
Rockwell RK3441K 4-1/2” Compact Circular Saw, 5 amps, 3500 rpm with Dust Port and Accessory Kit Professional and technical
Rockwell RK3440K Versacut Ultra-Small Saw Best Compact
Small Circular Saw, HYCHIKA with 3 Saw Blades 4A Pure Copper Motor, 3-3/8”4500RPM Best Overall
About Compact Circular Saws
The best compact circular saw for you should be able to cut through lots of different kinds of wood, as well as function well under different conditions. It should have enough power to process the materials you need to work with. If your saw doesn’t have enough power to cut through wet wood, for example, it might overheat and stop working. Not only is this frustrating, but it can also be dangerous. If the saw overheats, this can push it suddenly back towards the user while you’re cutting. This is why it’s crucial that you consider the conditions you’re going to be working in when you look for a compact circular saw.
There are different ways you can evaluate the performance and power of a compact circular saw. Some people look at the horsepower of the saw’s motor, but this isn’t always the best way to check how well it cuts. The horsepower of the saw only tells you how much electricity the motor draws.
In many respects, the price of the saw may actually be the best sign of its quality. The more expensive compact circular saws can be treated as an investment, and they should still have enough power to cut well decades down the line. Different compact circular saw types also have different features, and this is also reflected in the price.
Why Should I Buy a Small Circular Saw?
If you’re into carpentry or woodworking, you might be wondering if a small circular saw would be right for you, or if you could get some use out of it. For some, a compact saw lacks power and might not seem very useful. There are plenty of ways you can use a compact circular saw, and we think that lots of people would benefit from using them. This is especially true when it comes to cuts where a regular circular saw would be too big or powerful.
For example, if you’re cutting detail work, then a full-sized circular would actually be inappropriate to use. It’s not necessary to have the saw with the most power every time you’re cutting lumber. Also, smaller saws are much easier to maneuver, which is a great advantage if you need to make fine, precise cuts. Compact circular saws require less power to use, which makes them more efficient from an environmental standpoint. You can also use smaller saws for much longer without getting fatigued.
A small circular saw may also be the best option for amateur or beginner woodworkers, who are just getting into the hobby. Home Depot circular saws are a great option here, as well as rotary saws. You can use a smaller saw to see if you like woodworking without investing in a full-sized circular saw.
If you need to, you can get a different type of circular saw further down the line. Another great advantage of smaller saws for beginners is that they’re light and easy to handle. Woodworking can be pretty tiring, especially if you’re working with larger tools all day. With a smaller saw, you can get used to the different techniques you use in woodworking without getting exhausted too quickly.
However, you still need to think about the kind of project you’re working on when you use smaller saws. Just because you’re a beginner doesn’t mean you are going to be working with small pieces of wood. If you want to make something larger, you might find that a small saw doesn’t have enough power for the type of ripping you need to do.
It’s also important that you always keep safety in mind. Smaller saws can also be very dangerous and have a lot of power. Just because the blade might not look intimidating, it doesn’t mean that you can’t get hurt if you aren’t careful.
Make sure to follow the same safety protocols and guidelines when you use a smaller saw, and always keep your eye on the blade. If you’re not used to working with machinery and saws, try to get some kind of instruction or supervision when you first start. This is the best way to make sure you’re working safely, and that you’re not putting yourself at unnecessary risk.
Do Smaller Saws Have any Disadvantages?
There are some cons that come with using a smaller saw, though. Smaller saws naturally are much less powerful than larger ones, and you can’t use them to rip large pieces of timber. They’re also less likely to be able to process wet lumber, and you might find that they overheat quickly. This can be dangerous if you’re not careful.
If you want a saw that you can use continuously for extended periods, then a smaller saw might not be appropriate. Smaller saws often overheat if you use them heavily for very long, so they can be a bit limited in this sense too.
As such, if you’re looking for a circular saw that you can use in construction or manufacturing, it’s unlikely that a smaller circular saw is going to be best unless you want to use it for details and finishing work. So, while you might find a smaller saw in the toolbox of a lot of professional carpenters, they’re largely going to use them for detail and finishing work. If you want a hardier or more versatile option, then consider looking for something bigger and more powerful.
Different types of circular saws have different features, which are important when you consider the type of circular saw you want. You should consider all of the aspects of the saw you’re looking at when you try to choose your new compact circular saw, especially the blade. Different features have different advantages, but they may also come with disadvantages.
The RPM that your saw has is an important part of its performance. The higher a saw’s RPM, the faster the blade can spin, and this means the blade cuts more cleanly through the wood. If you’re trying to determine the power of the saw you’re looking at, then maximum RPMs is one way to do so.
The design of the blade is a crucial feature. Think about the kind of work you want to do, and how the blade should function. For example, consider whether you can adjust the blade to make bevel cuts at 45 degrees, or other features you need for the type of cutting you are going to use the saw for. The saw should cut cleanly, and this is largely due to blade design. If you buy a cheaper saw, it might have a weaker blade, too.
It’s important that you think about the ergonomics of the saw you’re considering. For example, some saws are so light or easy to handle that you can use them with one hand. Others are bigger and more difficult to operate, which can make them tiring to use for longer periods.
Depending on how strong you are, you should definitely consider the ergonomics of the model you’re looking at because a more ergonomic model is going to be easy to use when cutting.
Maximum Cutting Depth
Maximum cutting depth is another important feature of your saw. In addition to its power, the cutting depth of your saw determines how much wood you can cut with it, and the types of wood you can cut. Some smaller saws have a shallow cutting depth, and can only handle softwoods, for example. If you want to make cuts in harder woods or lumber, then you need to look for a saw with greater cutting depth.
When you make lots of cuts in lumber, you can build up a lot of sawdust, and this is generally something you want to avoid inhaling. It goes without saying that it’s not safe to inhale sawdust, especially if you’re going to be working for long periods or making lots of cuts in wood. This is why you should look at the dust collection system your saw has. A saw that has good dust collection should limit how much sawdust you inhale.
It’s important that you consider the type of shoe your saw has. You are basically guaranteed to drop your saw at some point, and some types of shoes are more protective than others. For example, a cast metal shoe is going to protect the saw more than a weaker metal. However, cast metal is heavy, and a cast metal shoe is going to make your saw heavier.
Ease of Adjustment
Certain saws are much easier to adjust than others. Having a saw that’s easy to adjust is crucial if you want to use your saw for lots of different types of working and applications, and want to use the same saw for everything.
Compact Circular Saw Tips and Tricks
When you use your compact circular saw, there are some things you should keep in mind to get the most out of the saw, as well as being able to work as well as you can.
Safety is Crucial
Saws can be dangerous pieces of equipment, even if you use them correctly. When you work with a saw, it’s crucial that you use all of the necessary PPE, and that you work as carefully as you can. There are precautions you can take to make it much safer to work with a saw.
However, you still can’t guarantee your safety. This is why it’s so important that you always watch what you’re doing and take frequent breaks. If you’re tired, it can be easy to lose track of what you’re doing, and this puts you at a much greater risk of injury.
Set it Up Properly
Setting up your workspace properly makes the saw easier to use, as well as makes it safer to work with the saw. You should always use your saw on a bench, or with two sawhorses. Otherwise, you risk making your saw kickback when you use it, and this can be seriously dangerous. You should also set up whatever you’re cutting so that the excess hangs over the edge of the bench or sawhorse. Don’t try to break off the piece that you’re cutting- you should cut it completely instead. If you try to break off the piece, you might buckle or damage the saw blade, and this can also make the saw kickback.
Think About Cutting Depth
Make sure you set the cutting depth correctly before you start to work. Also, if you need to adjust the saw blade, you should always ensure that it is disconnected from the power source first.
The 7 Best Compact Circular Saws
We’ve compiled a list of what we think are seven of the best compact circular saws out there on the market. This list is based on our own experience with the saws, as well as reviews from other users. We’ve considered different factors and features like price, ease of use, power, and safety.
DEWALT ATOMIC 20V MAX Circular Saw, 4-1/2-Inch, Tool Only (DCS571B)
DeWalt is one of the most versatile power tool manufacturers out there, and this circular saw mini option is a great offering from the company.
- The saw uses the DeWalt 20-volt max battery system. This is a great, efficient battery system, and the batteries last for extended periods of time. You can also swap the battery with other DeWalt products that use the same system, so this is a really great feature if you use lots of DeWalt products with the same battery system. These mini circular saws are also very ergonomic and easy to operate. You can use it easily with one hand or both hands. The handle has been designed to be easy to hold for long periods, and this is pretty obvious when you actually use the tool.
- blade diameter: 4-1/2-Inch
- design is very helpful when using the circular saw for extended periods of time.
- Something that is a bit frustrating with this tool is that it actually doesn't come with a battery. Since it's cordless, you have to buy a battery to be able to operate it. This seems a bit dishonest on the part of DeWalt, and it's certainly inconvenient at the very least. If you do purchase this model, ensure that you buy a compatible battery at the same time, or you won't be able to operate it! This is especially noteworthy because the saw is more expensive than a lot of similar models. You would expect that a saw at this price point would actually come with a battery and charger since it requires them to operate.
DeWalt is one of the most versatile power tool manufacturers out there, and this circular saw mini option is a great offering from the company. It’s not always easy to find a cordless model when you’re looking for circular saws. Cordless circular saws are more convenient for a number of reasons, though. You don’t need to worry about working next to a power supply, and this makes these compact circular saws far more portable and practical if you’re going to do detailed work. However, cordless saws are less powerful than corded ones, and mini circular saws are generally much less powerful than other types of a compact circular saw. buy DEWALT DCS571B here.
The DeWalt DCS571B cordless circular saw is a lightweight, compact and useful tool to have around the house. It is battery-powered, so there are no bulky cords or cables, which makes it very portable. It weighs only 7 pounds and measures 16 inches long by 10 inches wide by 4 1/2 inches high. In addition to this, it comes with a blade that’s capable of cutting wood at a 90° angle and 2x material at 45° angles for increased versatility.
This allows you to cut through large sheets of plywood in a short period of time without much difficulty. The weight capacity for this circular saw is 5/8ths inch when cutting both vertically and horizontally, but if you’re looking for something that has more weight capacity, look at the DeWalt DCS575T1 cordless circular saw. This model is lighter and smaller than its counterpart with the following
dimensions: 11 1/4 inches long by 6 1/2 inches wide by 9 3/4 inches high and a weight of only 7 pounds with a blade that can cut through material with ease. The 5-amp motor in this tool delivers 10,000 RPM for efficient cutting and it’s equipped with an electric brake that stops within 5 seconds after triggering.
DeWalt DCS571B Pros And Cons
- Lightweight, compact design makes it easy to carry around the house while providing all of the power needed to cut through large sheets of plywood
- Electric brake stops the blade within 5 seconds of triggering to prevent any accidents
- Has dual bevel capacity for increased versatility when cutting through different types of materials
- Battery and charger not included, so it will cost more money upon initial purchase
- Can’t cut through material with a thickness greater than 5/8th inches without damaging the device
Summary: The DeWalt DCS571B cordless circular saw is lightweight, compact, and useful. It has all the power you need to get through large sheets of plywood in no time at all. However, if you want something that can cut through thicker material without any damage done to the saw, consider investing in either the DeWalt DCS575T1 cordless circular saw or the DeWalt DCS575B cordless circular saw.
Place here Description for your reviewbox
This model by Makita is somewhat more practical than the DeWalt. The kit comes with several batteries as well as a charger, and a case that you can use to store the saws and replacement parts. This kit makes the Makita very portable, cuts well, and is easy to work with- you just need to bring everything in the case with you. The Makita SH02R1 is cordless, which is another feature that makes it portable and practical.
– Lightweight – A lightweight body makes it comfortable to use this tool without tiring your arms or back after hours of work. You can also control the circular saw better because it would not be as heavy as other models.
– Safety Features – This model comes with overload protection, which means that you will not accidentally cut through whatever you are trying to cut if the power shuts down within 1 minute of continuous operation. The electronic brake stops the blade immediately when you release your finger from the trigger switch. It also has an ergonomic shape, meaning that it is shaped fits comfortably in your hands so that you can control it better.
– Tool-less Blade Release – If the blade later needs to be changed, this feature allows for quick changes without any special tools. This is useful so that you do not have to waste time looking around for the right tool when trying to switch out blades.
– Dust Ejection System – The dust ejection system ensures that most of the debris is blown away from your line of vision which helps keep your line of sight clear even with a spinning blade in front of it.
– Soft Grip Handle – When using a tool, ergonomics are very important because if you have an awkward grip on a power tool, then it will be uncomfortable and you run the risk of dropping the saw while it is running. This feature helps ensure that the body of the saw is not too bulky for you to manage when holding it in your hands.
– Bright Light – An LED light illuminates when you press down on the trigger switch, allowing you to see better where you are cutting even in dim conditions.
– Doesn’t come with a blade
– Weak battery – The batteries that come with the kit only last 20 minutes before recharging (may be a downside for some people). You can purchase longer-lasting 18v lithium-ion batteries separately if necessary though.
– Loud motor noise – This circular saw has an electronic brake that works fine but produces loud motor noise after braking so this may bother some people.
– Slippery grip – The saw has a slippery grip (which is good for preventing it from slipping out of your hand but makes it difficult to grip).
– Expensive – This circular saw is more expensive than other models on the market. It also doesn’t come with a blade so that needs to be purchased separately.
WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw – WX429L
a great budget option for beginners
- The saw is light and easy to maneuver. It provides great value for money, and it's so small that you can easily use it with one hand. You can use this saw in tight spaces where you simply wouldn't be able to fit a bigger saw. Also, you can adjust the saw to make bevel cuts at 45 degrees.
- blade diameter: 4-½”
- Unfortunately, the Worx saw simply isn't very powerful. While it might stand up to ripping and crosscutting softwood, it lacks the necessary power to do much more than these types of cuts. If you want a saw that you can use for detail work, or you just want to try working with a circular saw for the first time, then you can try this saw. However, it's unlikely to hold up to much more than that, and probably isn't suited to professional woodworking.
a great budget option for beginners is one of the smallest saws on this list. You can use it easily to rip softwoods without it overheating or bogging down. The Worx saw is definitely a budget option, though. It’s not all that powerful, and the low price point might mean that it doesn’t hold up that well over time. This would be a good option for beginner or amateur woodworkers who want to give working with a circular saw a try.
TACKLIFE Circular Saw with Metal Handle, 6 Blades(4-3/4″ & 4-1/2”)
The Tacklife model is one of the most powerful on the list. It cuts well and has a fantastic 5.8 amp motor.
- It's hard to find a more powerful motor on a mini circular saw this size than the Tacklife's 5.8 amp motor. The 5.8 amp motor makes cutting large quantities of lumber effortless. Also, the laser guide lets you cut with precision. The fact that you can swap the blade on this model makes it very versatile. If you need to make different kinds of cuts, you can simply swap them out. You can cut all different kinds of materials with this model straight out of the box.
- blade diameter: 2x24T TCT(120mm)
- This compact circular saw comes with an attachable metal handle if you don't want to use the saw with one hand. However, it seems that this handle is a bit unstable where it attaches to the saw, and it could potentially wear down with use, especially while you cut with it.
The Tacklife model is one of the most powerful on the list. It cuts well and has a fantastic 5.8 amp motor. This powerful motor lets you perform cuts at lots of different angles and with ease. The mini circular saw has great features that make cutting easier, like a laser guide and interchangeable types of blade. In addition, the 1-inch handle makes it easy to use this mini circular saw left-handed.
Rockwell RK3441K 4-1/2” Compact Circular Saw, 5 amps, 3500 rpm with Dust Port and Accessory Kit
The Rockwell RK3441K is super versatile and compact. Coming with a strong, carbide-tipped blade, this saw is a very durable and dependable choice
- The 5.8 amp motor and carbide-tipped blade are very competitive features. You can adjust it for making bevel cuts, and it performs well for extended periods. The 5.8 amp motor means that the 4.5-inch blade should be more than enough power for cutting different materials, from wood to sheet metal. This compact saw should cut well for decades, but Rockwell does provide a three-year warranty, making the Rockwell RK3441K a safe choice. The 3500 RPM also provides a lot of power when you cut with this saw, and you can cut effortlessly with it without getting tired.
- blade diameter: 4-1/2”
- Strangely enough, this model does not actually come with the blade included. You need to purchase the blade separately if you want to cut anything with the compact saw. Also, Rockwell doesn't have as wide a distribution network as some of the other companies on this list. This can make it tricky to replace the blade or other parts.
The Rockwell RK3441K is super versatile and compact. Coming with a strong, carbide-tipped blade, this saw is a very durable and dependable choice. You can cut with it for extended periods without it overheating. It has a 5.8 amp motor, making it powerful, and it cuts cleanly. The saw has a 3500 RPM, making it one of the more powerful models on this list.
This is a very compact saw, but it makes up for its size in power. This compact saw is capable of making long cuts and has an impressive cutting depth for being so small.
- In addition to the cutting depth, this saw generates great power for such a small model. You can use it to cut in awkward angles and small spaces where a larger compact circular saw wouldn't fit. Also, you can swap out the blade on this saw, and some of the blade options are very small. This is great for precise cuts, although the smaller blade choices don't provide great cutting depth. It's also easy to adjust the cutting depth on this model.
- While the cutting depth is impressive given the size of this compact circular saw, it is still quite limiting at 1 1/16 inches. This cutting depth is simply not enough for a lot of projects. As a very compact saw, it also lacks power compared to some of the larger models.
This is a very compact saw, but it makes up for its size in power. This compact saw is capable of making long cuts and has an impressive cutting depth for being so small. A compact circular saw like this is great for DIY projects or performing smaller detail cutwork. However, it might be difficult to cut hardwood with this compact circular saw, and you may also struggle to cut for longer periods of time without the saw overheating.
Place here Description for your reviewbox
Rounding off our list is the compact Hychika MS-85C. This is a great budget option for a compact circular saw. The compact saw has a laser guide, making precise cutting effortless. Also, it’s very easy to use, either with one hand or with both. However, the cutting depth is a bit limited with the 3 3/8 inch blade. You can’t use this compact saw to cut hardwood or larger slabs of wood.
Are Mini Circular Saws Any Good?
You can find some great mini circular saws on the market if you know what to look for. A lot of people don’t need a full-sized circular saw, and this is when a mini circular saw is an appropriate option. If you want to find a mini circular saw that you know is good, you should make sure you consider all of the features it has, as well as look at reviews.
By looking at feedback and features, you can get a comprehensive idea of the compact circular saws that you’re looking at. This way, you can guarantee that you get a great mini circular saw that suits you, cuts well, and is appropriate for the kind of work that you’re going to do with it.
What is the Best Circular Saw for Home Use?
The best small circular saw for you is going to depend on the type of work you do at home, and your preferences when it comes to saws. 5 attachable blades might not be necessary if you only do detail work, for example. If you mostly do the detailed cutting, then any of the models in this buying guide should suffice. However, if you need a model with more power or cutting depth, or a larger blade, then you should choose the Tacklife or the DeWalt models.
What is the Best Compact Circular Saw?
It’s hard to say concretely which of the mini circular saw on this list is the best compact circular saw. When you evaluate a handheld circular saw, you need to weigh up many different factors. You should consider if you can use it left-handed, how much power it has, the cutting depth, if it cuts cleanly, how big the blade is, how powerful the blade is, and so on.
The best compact saw on this list is arguably the Tacklife TCS115A. Its laser guide and 1-inch handle make it easy to cut with, and it has plenty of power. Cutting with compact saws like these is effortless, even for long periods. The blade is strong, and you can easily adjust the cutting depth. If you’re going to cut for extended periods, then you want a versatile and ergonomic model. Based on how well it cuts, the cutting depth, the different types of cuts you can make, and how well it performs generally, we believe the Tacklife is the best saw on this list.