Cordless chainsaws offer a great alternative to gas-powered chainsaws because they are more convenient, cheaper, and lower maintenance. Lumberjacks, contractors, and landscapers can all benefit from these power tools. If you are looking for a great new corded chainsaw, then you are going to love our battery chainsaw reviews of the top models available. You can explore our buying guide section for additional guidance on how to select a good battery chainsaw.
DeWalt Flexvolt 60V Max Battery Chainsaw (DCCS670X1) High in demand
Black+Decker 20V Max Battery-Powered Chainsaw (LCS1020B) Professional's choice
GreenWorks G-Max 40V 16-Inch Cordless Chainsaw (20312) Quality Product
Powerworks 60V Brushless 16-inch Chainsaw (CS60L2510PW) Best in Market
EGO Power+ CS1604 16-Inch 56-Volt Cordless Chainsaw EXCELLENT PRODUCT
Top 3 Cordless Chainsaws
After looking through some of the best battery-powered chainsaws on the market, we came up with a list of the top eight cordless chainsaws. From those picks, we have further selected three standout products in three different categories. Based on a range of important selection criteria on the construction and capabilities of each tool, we picked the best cordless chainsaw for contractors the best value, and the best compact tool. You can also have a look at the full reviews in the next section.
Best for Contractors: DeWalt Flexvolt 60V MAX Cordless Chainsaw (DCCS670X1)
Anyone who works as a contractor knows the importance of having a powerful and reliable chainsaw for cutting trees and other such jobs. For the best cordless chainsaws for contractors, our choice is the DeWalt Flexvolt (DCCS670X1). This power tool weighs only 12.2 pounds, has a powerful 60V voltage, and a chainsaw of 16 inches. Some key features include the ability to make tool-free chain tension adjustments, auto-oiling, and kickback protection from the chain brake.
Best Value: Black+Decker 20V Max Battery Chainsaw (LCS1020B)
If you are looking for a battery chainsaw with excellent performance and budget price, then we recommend the Black + Decker 20V Max LCS1020B model. It is a lightweight tool with a 10-inch chain blade. This model comes with an automatic oiling system for the chain and the bar. You can make quick adjustments to the chain, thanks to the tool-free chain tensioning system. This cordless chainsaw has a low kickback and is perfect for lawn and garden.
Best Compact: Makita XCU07PT Cordless Chain Saw Kit
For a battery-powered chainsaw that is easy to carry around, you need a good compact tool. We rated the Makita XCU07PT cordless chainsaw as the best compact model. It runs on two 18V batteries and has a 14-inch chain blade. One of the best features of this battery chainsaw is that it can make some of the slimmest cuts. It has a high power efficiency and is comparable to a 32cc gas-powered chainsaw.
Best Cordless Battery Chainsaw Reviews
It’s now time to dive deeper into the best battery chainsaw reviews. We scoured the market for eight superior models In the full reviews below, you can find out what each of these products offers as far as features and capabilities. We have also included a list of pros and cons about each model as well as some special tips that you know where and how best you can use these battery chainsaws.
For the best cordless chainsaws for contractors, we chose the DeWalt Flexvolt (DCCS670X1). Anyone working as a contractor needs a reliable portable chainsaw
- Powerful motor
- Kickback protection
- Tool-free chain tightening
- High cutting capacity
- Excellent battery access
- Slightly stiff thumb-activated safety switch
For the best cordless chainsaws for contractors, we chose the DeWalt Flexvolt (DCCS670X1). Anyone working as a contractor needs a reliable portable chainsaw that can handle the motor power requirements of the job.
- This power tool weighs only 12.2 pounds but has a powerful 60V voltage.
- The chainsaw blade length is 16 inches.
- This cordless chainsaw features tool-free chain tension adjustments.
- With the auto-oiling function from Lubriwell and Lubrilink, you don’t have to worry about keeping the blade and chain well-oiled.
- You can easily refill the oil tank, thanks to the quarter-turn oil cap.
- As far as the battery chainsaw’s cutting capacity, you can make up to 70 cuts on a 6-inch x 6-inch pressure-treated pine wood on a single battery charge.
- For proper bar clamping force, there is a combination of a tooled and toolless bar retention knob.
- The chain brake offers kickback protection.
- As far as Amazon ratings, this cordless chainsaw has 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 1,600 reviewers.
If you need a study, powerful, cordless cutter, then we recommend the DeWalt Flexvolt (DCCS670X1). You can make a large number of cuts on a single charge, thanks to the powerful 60V batteries.
Our top recommendation for a cordless chainsaw offering great value for money is the Black + Decker LCS1020B model.
- Easy to use
- Tool-free chain tensioning feature
- Battery and charger not included
- Suitable for light-duty use only
Our top recommendation for a cordless chainsaw offering great value for money is the Black + Decker LCS1020B model. Let’s get into the full tool review to see what this model is capable of.
- It is a lightweight tool, weighing only 7.5 pounds.
- This chainsaw has a 10-inch chain blade and features a low kickback.
- There is an automatic oiling system for the chain and the bar.
- The tool-free chain tensioning system allows you to make quick adjustments to the chain.
- The 20V lithium-ion battery is interchangeable with other Black + Decker cordless power tools.
- On Amazon, this product has 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 4,300 battery chainsaw users.
This battery-powered chainsaw is perfect for lawn and garden. It can cut through 8-inch thick branches, and while it doesn’t have the longest blade, it is a powerful tool with a 20V battery.
This compact battery chainsaw weighs 18.76 pounds and is only 5.5 inches across at its widest point.
- High performance
- Highly compact
- Powerful motor
- Variable speed
- Auto-power off function
- Not the most powerful cutting tool, so not suitable for heavy-duty cuts
We picked the Makita XCU07PT cordless chainsaw as the best compact model. Find out more about what this tool has to offer in the review below.
- This compact battery chainsaw weighs 18.76 pounds and is only 5.5 inches across at its widest point.
- It runs on two 18V batteries and has a brushless motor direct-drive system without leaving the 18V LXT battery platform.
- This cordless chainsaw has a high power efficiency and is comparable to a 32cc gas-powered chainsaw.
- The maximum chain speed of the Makita XCU07PT cordless chainsaw is 3,940 FPM, and the variable speed trigger allows you to vary the cutting performance according to the task.
- It has a 14-inch chain blade.
- This chainsaw features lateral chain tensioning and captured bar nuts, making it easy and convenient to maintain and operate.
- There is an automatic power-off function on the LED on/off switch for extended battery life.
- On Amazon, this product has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars from just under 100 ratings.
One of the best features of this battery chainsaw is that it can make some of the slimmest cuts. It is not the most powerful chainsaw but is adequate for landscape maintenance tasks.
This 11.6-pound battery chainsaw has a brushless motor, which offers 70% less vibration, more power, up to 30% more torque, run time, and tool life.
- Powerful brushless motor
- Powerful cutting capacity
- Easy push start
- Auto-oiling feature
- Electronic chain brake
- None found
Another powerful cordless chainsaw that made it to the list is the GreenWorks 20312 model. See what it has to offer below.
- This 11.6-pound battery chainsaw has a brushless motor, which offers 70% less vibration, more power, up to 30% more torque, run time, and tool life.
- You can use the 2Ah G-Max 40V lithium-ion battery system with over 25 other power tools in the manufacturer’s range.
- The run time for this battery-powered chainsaw is up to 100 cuts to a 4×4 piece of lumber on a single battery charge.
- It’s easy to start the chainsaw with just the push of a button.
- There is an auto-oiler with a transparent oil tank for easy level visibility.
- There is an electronic chain brake to prevent accidental kick back and keep the user safe.
- The pitch of the saw is 0.375 inches.
- On Amazon, this chainsaw is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 3,100 raters.
With this battery chainsaw purchase, you have everything you need for home use and professional use. You can cut trees and do other maintenance tasks as well as cleaning up after a weather storm.
The battery of this chainsaw is compatible with all Powerworks and Snapper tools that are rated 60V for extended runtime.
- Comfortable handle
- Kickback prevention
- Automatic oiling feature
- Lng warrant period
- None found
This battery-powered chainsaw is a powerful model with a lot to offer. Let’s get into the full review of the Powerworks CS60L2510PW chainsaw.
- The 60V brushless motor with electric start offers high efficiency, more torque, and more power than the alternatives.
- You can keep your tool well-oiled at all times, thanks to the automatic oiler.
- To stop unplanned chain movement and prevent kickback, there is a chain brake.
- The handle has a cushioned over-mold grip for operator comfort.
- This power tool is powered by a 60V 2.5Ah lithium-ion battery and can make as many as 100 cuts on a 4×4 piece of lumber with its 16-inch blade.
- The battery of this chainsaw is compatible with all Powerworks and Snapper tools that are rated 60V for extended runtime.
- There is a 2-year warranty on the battery and a 4-year warranty on the tool.
- On Amazon, this chainsaw has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars from just over 1000 reviewers.
With this tool, you can enjoy the long runtime offered by the powerful battery system. If you have to do continuous cutting projects, it might be worthwhile investing in a tool with a high power-rating such as this one.
This chainsaw is empowered by a 5-Ah, 20V battery and only weighs 8.8 pounds with the battery included.
- Lightweight, compact, and easy to control
- Bestselling battery-powered chainsaw
- Brushless motor
- Auto-tensioning control
- High cutting capacity
- Not suitable for longer cuts
The DeWalt DCCS620P1 chainsaw is another highly-rated, powerful battery chainsaw from Dewalt.
- This chainsaw is empowered by a 5-Ah, 20V battery and only weighs 8.8 pounds with the battery included.
- It has a 12-inch blade and is, therefore, best reserved for light-duty work.
- This battery-powered chainsaw has a 12-inch bar and kick back prevention features
- You can use this battery chainsaw for a range of cutting applications.
- The tool features a brushless motor, which provides a longer runtime and motor life and a high-efficiency operation.
- On a single charge of the 20V Max battery, you can make as many as 0 cuts on a piece of pressure-treated wood measuring 4×4.
- You can keep the chain tension where it should be, thanks to the tool-free chain tension and bar clamping force knob.
- The kit includes the battery, the charger, and a cover for the blade.
- The battery is also compatible with other 20V Max tools, in case you wish to extend the runtime of a particular tool while the battery is recharging.
- Out of over 6,000 reviewers on Amazon, this chainsaw has a rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars and is a bestseller in the power chain saw category.
This chainsaw can handle tough construction and outdoor work. The only limitation is the length of cuts you can make to trees and other materials.
This battery chainsaw is powered by a 56V 5.0 Ah lithium-ion battery, and this is included together with the charger.
- Powerful battery
- High cutting capacity
- Easy chain tensioning
- Fast charging of the battery
- Kick back prevention
- High-efficiency brushless motor
- Some users have complained about the assembly of the chain oiler, but with a slight readjustment, this was resolved.
Another one of the best cordless chainsaws we found is the EGO Power+ CS1604. You can learn more about it here.
- This battery chainsaw is powered by a 56V 5.0 Ah lithium-ion battery, and this is included together with the charger.
- It only takes about 40 minutes for the battery to be fully charged.
- With a single charge of the battery, you can make up to 300 cuts.
- The guide bar of this tool is 16 inches long.
- The chainsaw weighs 18 pounds, and its motor can achieve a speed of 6,800 RPM.
- There is a chain kickback brake to prevent sudden movements.
- This product has a water-resistant construction.
- The battery pack of this chainsaw is compatible with other power tools in the EGO Power+ line-up.
- There is easy chain tensioning adjustment with this chainsaw.
- This chainsaw has a rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 500 raters.
With the fast speed and high cutting capacity of this chainsaw, you can cut through a range of materials, including hardwood, softwood, branches, and a lot more.
Last but not least in our line-up of the best cordless chainsaws is the WEN 40417 battery-powered chainsaw. You can find out more about this power tool below.
- Long warranty period
- Auto-oiling system
- Brushless motor
- Powerful battery
- Not for heavy-duty construction use
Last but not least in our line-up of the best cordless chainsaws is the WEN 40417 battery-powered chainsaw. You can find out more about this power tool below. You can say goodbye to using gasoline, extension cords, and countless maintenance requirements when you switch to an electric cordless model like this one instead.
- This WEN chainsaw features a brushless motor, and this offered a longer tool lifespan and a more available torque for a range of cutting tasks.
- The saw only weighs 12 pounds.
- With the 16-inch Oregon chain, the tool can achieve speeds of up to 49 feet per second.
- With this tool, you also get a 40V, 4 Amp-hour lithium-ion battery that is fade-free as well as the compatible charger for this tool and all the rest in the 40V Max Series from WEN.
- The chainsaw is covered under a 2-year warranty.
- It comes with a protective sheath.
- There is an auto-oiling system to lubricate the chain and guide bar.
- On Amazon, this chainsaw has a rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 600 raters.
This is a great chainsaw to use in your backyard for a range of cutting tasks.
Adding a cordless chainsaw can help you become more productive at home and work. In this buying guide, we help you with key considerations you should make before completing your purchase as well as general information about this highly useful power tool.
What Is a Chainsaw?
Before we jump into the specifics of a cordless chainsaw and how to pick the best model, it’s a good idea to look at the tool in general. Chainsaws are powerful tools mainly used to cut wood, although in some cases, they also cut concrete and ice. A rotating chain with a set of teeth attached is driven along a guide bar. This portable cutting tool can either be powered by gasoline, electricity, or batteries. A cordless chainsaw is a battery-powered chainsaw.
When you think about a large chainsaw with a loud operating noise and the smell of fuel all around, this is the traditional gas-powered model. Nowadays, electric and cordless chainsaws are becoming more and more common. These are quieter, lower maintenance, cheaper, exhaust-free, and don’t leave a smell.
They have zero emissions. There is no engine oil to change, no spark plugs needing replacement every so often, and no muffler and air filter to clean. You never have to worry about draining the fuel after use for & there’s no need to drain the fuel for storage. Although their capabilities are typically lower than the gas models, this is fast-changing.
Key Features and Components of a Cordless Chainsaw
If you are going to find the best cordless chainsaw for your purposes, you have to understand a bit about how the tool works and is constructed. Knowing the key features of the tool and what kind of specifications the superior models have ensures that you find a good match between the tool and the work you want to do. In the next few sections, we are going to go over the main features and specifications of a cordless chainsaw.
A cordless chainsaw gets its power from the battery, so this is one of the most critical components to look at. These days, lithium-ion batteries are commonly used. These are durable and rechargeable. In the past, nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cad) batteries were ubiquitous. The drawback with these is that they are not as efficient and can take as long as 12 hours to charge. They are also heavier and have a lower capacity than lithium-ion batteries.
Different lithium batteries have different power ratings. To see how powerful a battery is, you can look at the voltage, amperages or amps, and amp-hours. These numbers indicate how well the battery works, so higher numbers of each are a good thing. You can also look for the weight of the battery to help determine how easy to handle and carry the saw and battery are going to be together.
You can find some cordless chainsaws that require one 20-volt battery, while others take multiple 18-volt batteries. In high-end tools, 40-volt and 80-volt batteries are common. The run time can vary, but you should be looking at around 30 minutes of use on a single charge.
The motor of a cordless chainsaw takes energy from the batteries and uses it to drive the chain that turns around the bar. Motors can have carbon brushes to facilitate power transmission but these days brushless motors are becoming more common. We recommend that you buy a cordless chainsaw with a brushless motor because these experience less friction and are more efficient than the alternative.
Guide Bar Length
The long metal piece that the chainsaw chain goes around is known as the guide bar. Its length determines the cutting capacity of the saw. If you want to use a cordless chainsaw to cut a tree, for example, you need one with a guide bar length that is at least 2 inches more than the diameter of the tree.
Typical lengths for large chainsaws are 16-inch and 18-inch long. There are longer chainsaws available, but due to the motor power limitations of a cordless chainsaw, 18 inches is the longest you can find in this variation. If you also need to do lighter cutting jobs like some pruning, you can get by with a 10-inch or 12-inch chainsaw.
One of the most important safety measures you should use with a battery chainsaw is to have and use a blade guard. This is a cover that you can place over the chain blade, especially when you are storing or transporting the tool. It helps to prevent accidents and also to protect the saw blade. You can look at the list of accessories for a cordless chainsaw to see if this is included. While it usually is, there’s also a chance that you might need to purchase it as a separate accessory.
There’s a lot of friction between the chainsaw’s bar and chain, so the former requires regular lubrication. If this does not happen, the chain can stop running smoothly and can even break. A chainsaw with an automatic bar oiler has this maintenance requirement built-in to the system. It’s an excellent feature to look out for because it frees you from the responsibility of oiling the bar and reduces the amount of downtime you have while working.
When the chain of your saw gets loose, you have to tighten it to continue working efficiently. One way to do this is to use a screwdriver or multi-tool. Many of the best cordless chainsaw models have tool-less chain tensioning. All you have to do to tighten the chain is turn the dial of the chain tensioner, and you are good to go.
If you want to optimize the speed of the tool based on the type of cut you are making, you may want to look into variable speed models versus single-speed chainsaws. With variable speed control, a pressure-sensitive trigger regulates the speed of the power tool.
Chainsaws are powerful tools with sharp blades, so you need to have a grip on the machine to prevent accidents. Standard battery chainsaws have one handle in the rear, holding the trigger switch, and one in the front, which is a larger wrap-around handle for your guiding hand.
The handle of the battery chainsaw usually has a rubberized grip to make it easier to hold firmly. Also included with the rear handle is a safety switch, which switched the chainsaw off if the user should lose their grip of that handle.
Size and Weight
It’s always a good idea to consider the size and weight of a power tool, particularly if your work requires you to move around with your chainsaw. As far as size and weight, cordless chainsaws are comparable to the equivalent modeling the gas saws category. In some cases, the battery-powered chainsaw is going to be slightly heavier than the gas-powered one.
There are other important features and information that need to be looked at. When you are trying to pick between various battery chainsaws, you should also look at the price point and how much value for money you are going to get. Some battery-powered chainsaws come with the battery and charger included, while others do not, so you should factor this into your budget.
If you are going to want to extend the runtime of the chainsaw, you might need to invest in an additional lithium-ion battery, so you can use one while the other is charging. Alternatively, if the battery of your battery chainsaw is compatible with other power tools by that and other manufacturers, you can use these instead.
Battery chainsaws may also differ slightly in their structure. You can look at this to see how ergonomic a particular chainsaw is. We have already talked about handle positioning and functions, but other ergonomic features you can look at include the tool brakes. You should also consider safety features, ease of use, and any other recommendation sans reviews that can help you learn more about the products before you buy them.
Now that you know what our recommendations are for the best battery-powered chainsaws are and some general information on how to choose a model, you are ready to make a purchase. If you have outstanding questions about cordless chainsaws and what they offer, this section just might have the answer.
- How long does a battery-powered chainsaw last? On a single charge, you can expect your chainsaw to last for about 1 hour of continuous usage. You might pull and release the trigger while you make your cuts, so you can expect the battery to take you for a few hours of on and off operation.
- Who makes the best cordless chainsaw? There are many different manufacturers that you can turn to if you need an excellent battery-powered chainsaw. DeWalt, Milwaukee, Black + Decker, Makita, and WEN are just a few of the examples. It is also with looking at some of the lesser-known brands because they also have some top innovation in chainsaw technology.
- Are Stihl battery chainsaws any good? Stihl cordless chainsaws are great options. They are affordable, easy to use, and very efficient. You can look at the individual product specifications to find the best tool for your usage requirements.
- Do electric chainsaws work well? Electric chainsaws are powerful tools for a range of outdoor cutting jobs. You can pick a corded or cordless electric option.
- Are battery chainsaws as good as gas? Gas-powered chainsaws are the traditional pick, but in recent years they are becoming less and less popular. Battery chainsaws offer comparable capabilities but are limited in the guide bar length and the runtime. The good thing about battery chainsaws compared with gas chainsaws is that the maintenance requirements are far less demanding and you don’t have to deal with the smell of gas.
After reviewing the eight of the best cordless chainsaws, we hope that you can find a tool that matches your usage requirements as well as your budget. For the best battery chainsaw for use by contractors, our top choice was the DeWalt Flexvolt Battery Chainsaw (DCCS670X1). We ranked the Makita XCU07PT Cordless Chain Saw Kit as the best compact battery-powered chainsaw.
Finally, we picked the Black+Decker 20V Max Battery-powered Chainsaw (LCS1020B) as the best value product. In the buying guide section, we also covered some of the most important criteria you should be looking at when trying to buy a battery-powered chainsaw. These include blade length, motor type and power rating, automatic tensioning and oiling, as well as handles, blade guard, and more.