What instrument do you reach for when you want to make measurements quickly and accurately? You could be working in construction, architecture, or as a handyman or DIY enthusiast at home. The quality and efficiency of your work heavily rely on what kind of measurements you take and how quickly you can get this done. If you haven’t switched over to using an electronic tape measure, this could be a great time to start. We have handpicked 8 of the very best laser tape measures and detailed why each of them could be the perfect choice for you. In our buyer’s guide section, we give you everything you need to know about picking a laser measuring tool.
Top 3 Laser Tape Measures
From all the digital tape measure options we looked at, three stood out. We picked the best overall laser tape measure, the best outdoor use option, and the best budget option. Here is a quick look at what makes them excellent digital measuring tools, before we get into the full laser tape measure reviews.
Best Overall: Leica DISTO D2 Laser Measuring Tool
From all the laser tape measures, our pick for the overall winner is the Leica DISTO D2. This instrument has an accuracy of 1/16 inches and a measuring range of up to 330 feet. We love its wide range of functions and modes, including the Pythagoras function, the large memory, as well as the user-friendly design. You can also transfer your readings using Bluetooth 4.0. Learn more about this unit in the full product review.
Best for Outdoor: Bosch GLM400CL Blaze Outdoor
It’s not enough to have a great device with lots of excellent functions. You need an instrument that works in the environment and setup you need it for. Many laser tape measures do not function well when outside. For the best outdoor electronic tape measure, we chose the Bosch GLM400CL. It has a lot going for it, including Blaze Outdoor technology, a 400-foot range, a camera, and 11 measurement functions for you to choose from.
Best Budget: DTAPE DT100 Laser Tape Measure
Whether you are a carpenter, engineer, or DIYer, you don’t always need to spend a lot to get a useful instrument. For the best budget digital tape measure, we chose the DTAPE DT100. It has a measuring range of 328 feet and an accuracy of 1/16 inches. You can use it to measure distance, area, and volume, and the Pythagoras mode is also available. This very affordable unit also has a hand strap for east-holding.
Best Laser Tape Measures: Full Review
It’s now time to get into the full review of the best laser tape measures. All eight products here can be a fine choice for you. What you have to look at the most is if the highlights of the products match how you want to use them. If you want a product that you can use to take accurate measurements outside, we have a number of options for you. If you want a simple and basic product or one with a lot of functionality, we have included these and more.
1: Leica DISTO D2 Laser Measuring Tool
Our overall winner for the best laser tape measure is the Leica DISTO D2. Learn what it can do and why we picked it right here.
- This unit has an accuracy of 1/16 inches.
- The measuring range of up to 330 feet.
- You can make up to 10,000 measurements on one set of batteries.
- When you want to transfer your measurements to some software, there is a Bluetooth 4.0 function.
- The instrument’s memory can store the last 10 measurements made.
- You can use the Pythagoras unction to make indirect measurements for height and length.
- The operating temperature range for this instrument is 14°F to 122°F.
- For measuring hard-to-reach lengths, you can utilize the intelligent automatic end-point.
- As far as the Amazon rating, this product has 4.7 out of 5 from over 1,000 users.
- High functionality
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Ergonomic design
- Good memory
- Back-lighting feature
- No re-do option
When you are taking a lot of readings and need an easy way to keep track of them, you can transfer them to your smartphone via Bluetooth to the associated app. This is quick and easy, and one of the reasons we loved this digital tape measure.
2: Best Budget: DTAPE DT100 Laser Tape Measure
We picked the DTAPE DT100 as the best budget option. This affordable digital tape measure has a lot to offer as you can see in this full review.
- The DTAPE DT100 has a measuring range of 328 feet and an accuracy of 1/16 inches.
- You can use this unit to measure distance, area, and volume, continuous measurement, and Pythagoras mode, which allows you to get hard-to-measure lengths.
- The unit has a backlight LCD that can switch on and off.
- You can mute this digital tape measure.
- This unit has a low battery light and switches off after 150 seconds without use.
- There is a 24-month warranty period.
- The DTAPE DT100 is waterproof and dustproof.
- On Amazon, this product has 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 700 ratings.
- Very affordable
- Hand strap
- Switchable backlight
- Mute option
- Ease of use
- Not the best instrument for outdoor measurement
There’s a lot to love about this budget-friendly tool. It offers a lot of excellent functionality. If you want to improve the accuracy ad stability of your measurements, you can use an opaque and smooth reflective plate. Place this at the target and then perform the measurement.
3: Best for Outdoor: Bosch GLM400CL Blaze Outdoor
When you need an exceptional outdoor laser tape measure, our recommendation and outside category winner is the Bosch GLM400CL. Let’s jump right into the full review.
- This Bosch laser tape measure has a measuring range of 4000 feet and an accuracy of 1/16 inches.
- With the Blaze Outdoor technology, you can use it to accurately measure distances outdoors.
- The camera feature allows the user to focus the laser beam precisely even in busy outdoor environments.
- With the free bosch MeasureOn app, you can get a record of your measurements on your smart device.
- You can use this instrument to take a total of 11 different measurements such as length, area, volume, and indirect functions.
- It is very easy to read from this device, thanks to the color display with a backlight for you to use in darker environments.
- This product has great reviews on Amazon, with a rating of 4.6 out of 5 from over 300 raters.
- Camera feature
- High functionality
- Blaze outdoor technology
- Superior operation in no light, low light, and full sunlight conditions
- Higher price point compared with the other options on the market
Even if you have to take measurements in a dark room with little to no light, this Bosch unit allows you to do it. The backlight feature allows you to read the display and measure even in the dark. Due to this, you have fewer restrictions about where you can and cannot take accurate measurements, which allows you to be more versatile at work.
4: Bosch Blaze GLM 50 C
The Bosch Blaze GLM 50 C laser distance measure is one of our top picks for a laser tape measure. Find out why below.
- You can measure to an accuracy of 1/16 inches and up to a distance of 165 feet.
- This unit has an upgraded color display with back-lighting.
- You can transfer your readings from the device to your smartphone’s Bosch app.
- This product has a built-in inclinometer allowing you to measure angles, min/max, and a range of additional readings.
- With one battery supply, you can take up to 10,000 measurements.
- You can see the real-time measurements as you use the instrument.
- On Amazon, this tape measure has 4.7 out of 5 stars from over 2,600 reviewers.
- Upgraded color display
- Advanced measurements, including angles
- Real-time measurements
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Not the highest measuring range
Bosch laser tape measures are known for their high quality and wide range of functions. With this product, you can make use of the real-time measurement feature to get a good idea of how good your readings are going to be for the particular requirements of your project. If you are doing something like carpentry or DIY work around the home, you can make adjustments immediately.
5: Hammerhead Rechargeable Compact HLMT130
The Hammerhead Rechargeable Compact HLMT130 is another one of our recommendations for those who do not want to pay a high price for their new digital measuring tool. Find out more about what this affordable unit has to offer.
- The Hammerhead laser measuring tool allows you to measure distances with an accuracy of 1/8 inches and up to a distance of 130 feet.
- There are three measuring modes on this instrument, namely for length, area, and continuous length measurement.
- This electronic tape measure is particularly compact and ultra-thin, and you can fit it in your pocket easily for your convenience.
- As far as power, this tape measure has a rechargeable integrated lithium battery as well as a micro USB charging port.
- This product has an Amazon rating of 4.2 out of 5 from just under 100 reviewers.
- Rechargeable battery so you don’t have to worry about battery life
- Compact and pocket-size
- Limited measuring functions
If you are looking for a basic laser measuring tool that can read length and area accurately, then this is a nice compact unit to purchase. If you want more complex measurements and high-functionality, then you might be better off with some of the other options in this list.
6: Atolla Laser Distance Meter
While we are speaking of budget options, the Atolla unit offers impressive value for money. Let us look at some important facts to note about this unit.
- You can use the Atolla laser tape measure to take readings both indoors and outdoors.
- There is a range of measurement modes on this product, including single or continuous measurements, min/max, area, volume, and Pythagoras.
- The range for this laser tape measure covers 0.15 to 60m.
- This product has advanced laser technology o allow you to measure with high accuracy of 2 mm.
- The backlit LCD allows you to read the measurements easily even in dark environments.
- To help you make more precise vertical and horizontal laser alignment, there are two bubble levels.
- You can set the reference point for this laser tape measure from the from or the back and there is also the option to adjust the results by +/- 7mm if need be.
- As far as the memory of the laser distance measuring tool, you can save as many as 20 records.
- To reduce the noise level when you are using the device, there is a mute option.
- The device has an automatic shut-off function if there is no activity for a period of 3 minutes.
- On Amazon, over 700 raters gave this product 4.6 stars out of 5.
- Value for money
- Robust build
- Large memory of records
- Compact product and included hand-strap for easy handling
- None found
There are so many great features to this Atolla laser distance measurer. We recommend that if you settle for this budget-friendly option, you take some time to understand everything it offers so that you do not get lost in all the features and functions. If you only need to make basic length measurements, you might not make full use of everything that this device has to offer.
7: Tacklife HD60 Classic Laser Measure
Another excellent digital tape measure for you to consider is the Tacklife HD60 Classic Laser Measure. It has a lot to offer and is among the more popular options on Amazon. Here, we talk about what it can do and why you might want to add it to your toolbox.
- This is a great gift product for any friend or family member who likes to work on DIY projects at home.
- You get high accuracy with this laser tape measure, thanks to the dual bubble levels.
- The measuring range for this unit is 196 feet and the accuracy is 1/16 inches on either side.
- It’s easy to switch the units at any point from meters to inches to feet by holding on to the appropriate button.
- The product is compact and easy to handle and store.
- You can keep the product safe and clear from dust, thanks to the durable storage and carrying pouch that comes with it.
- There is a large backlit LCD screen on this device, and you can see the readings clearly even when you are in an environment with poor lighting.
- One of the best parts about the Tacklife product is the range of settings, including length, area, and volume automatic calculations, large data memory, calibrations, automatic shut-off after 150 seconds of dormancy, and manual data deletion.
- You can use this tool for a wide range of applications, and with functions for advanced readings like continuous measurement, Pythagoras. This is the ideal instrument to use in large work sites.
- When you buy this product, the package comes with the device, batteries, a manual, a portable bag for easy carrying, and a 24-month service agreement.
- This laser distance measurer is very popular on Amazon and has a rating of 4.6 out of 5 from over 4,600 reviewers. It is undoubtedly one of the best sellers in the category.
- Wide range of functions
- Advanced measurements
- None found
There is so much you can do with this laser distance meter. Although it has a large memory allowing you to store 30 groups of data, there might come a time when you need to make space in the device. You can make use of the manual delete function to take out some of the records that you no longer need to have.
8: Hanmatek LM50 Laser Measurement Tool
Our last of the best laser tape measures for you to consider is the Hanmatek LM50 Laser Measurement Tool. Learn more about this option here.
- This product has high accuracy and stability and can measure with an accuracy of 1/16 inches on either side.
- It has a range of 196 feet.
- You can switch your measurements from different units easily.
- There are two bubble levels to give the unit more stability and precision.
- You can measure accurately even in dark environments, thanks to the large LCD screen backlight for improved visibility.
- If you want to reduce the noise of the instrument, especially if you have to work during office hours in a quiet environment, you can use the mute setting. You can always turn on the acoustic signal when you want to.
- This device allows you to take many different types of measurements, including the common ones and also continuous measurement, addition and subtraction, and Pythagorean data.
- There are a low battery signal and automatic shut-off after 150 seconds of dormancy.
- You can store up to 99 groups of data on this device.
- This device allows you to manually delete any data that you no longer need.
- The Hanmatek laser distance measurer is waterproof and highly portable, thanks to the hand strap.
- High functionality
- High stability
- Large memory
- None found
This product can make a great gift to someone who likes to work on DIY and renovation projects. The unit comes with a carrying case and has a hand strap to make it easier to handle.
Laser tape measures can be very handy tools to have if you need to take measurements quickly and easily. You now have a great reference list of some of the top choices. It’s now time to look more generally at what laser tape measures are, how they work, and what you should consider when buying one. We are also going to provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions when it comes to these measuring tools.
How Do Laser Measuring Tools Work?
Before we dive into the answer to this question, it is best to look at what a laser tape measure is. It is a small handheld electronic tool that you can use to measure distance. Depending on the model of the gadget and its complexity, you can take and store a range of readings.
As the name suggests, a laser distance measurer uses a laser to take accurate measurements. The alternative to this laser device is a conventional tape measure. While this is and has always been a convenient tool to use whether in the home, the workshop, and the construction site, it has its drawbacks. Truth be told, whether you opt for a fabric tape measure or a spring return option, these tools are not the easiest to use. You might need assistance holding the traditional tape measure, and it takes some effort to position the meter correctly. The chances are also high that you might have to double-check your measurements to ensure accuracy.
A laser tape measure or laser distance meter as it is also known as measures the straight line distance between two points. This measuring instrument sends out a laser beam or pulse of light. It calculates the distance between two points using the speed it takes the light to travel the distance in a specific time. What this does is allow you to measure longer distances, tight spaces, and high places without the use of a ladder and the need for a second person to assist and hold the tape in place.
Features and Functionalities of a Laser Distance Measurer
A laser distance measurer is very fast, easy to use, and accurate, as you might expect from a laser measuring tool. This instrument can measure to an accuracy of around 1/18 to 1/16 inches, depending on which model you select.
It has several important features that allow it to perform its function. It’s always a good idea to look at the features and specifications of the product to ensure that it can measure accurately in the environment where you hope to use it. In our recommendations of the best laser tape measures, we selected products that cover a range of use cases and user preferences.
When it’s time for you to evaluate which laser distance meter you should get, there are some key features and functionalities that you must look at. Here is a quick breakdown of the top ones.
- Price- There is no getting away from the importance of price when adding a new tool to your toolbox. You can find laser tape measures going for a wide range of prices. Before you conclude which ones are cheaper or more expensive, take a look at the features and the value they provide. Value for money is much more important especially if this is a device you are going to be using regularly in your work.
- Range- The range refers to how big a space is that you are going to be measuring. If your work is limited to small rooms and spaces, then it is not that important for you to look for a laser distance measurer with a high range. The range of a laser unit could be anything from 50 feet to 600 feet or more.
- Size- Most laser tape measures are small and easy to hold in your hands. If this is a device you plan to use often and carry around with you, you should consider finding a model that fits snuggly in your hand and in your toolbox.
- Time- The faster later distance meters can return a reading to you within less than a second, while other models may take a few seconds. If you intend to be taking a lot of back-to-back measurements, it could be important to you to have an instrument that can process measurements quickly and efficiently.
- Lighting conditions- Since this measuring instrument works with a light pulse, it is important for you to use it in the right light conditions. In general, they do not work as well in very bright light. Some models do not work very well outside in full light, so you might need to find an outdoor unit if much of your work is going to be there. Another lighting feature to think about with your laser tape measure is the backlighting on the screen. If you are working in a dark or poorly lit room, then it is essential that you find a product that allows you to use these settings.
- Noise level- If it is important that you take measurements quickly and not make too much noise, then you might want to look for a laser distance measurer with a mute function.
- Holster- Some units come with a holster so that you can wear the instrument on your tool belt. If you want something like this for quick storage of the device on your person, then keep this in mind when you picking the best laser tape measure. You may also be interested in a digital tape measure with a wrist strap.
- Water-resistance- While laser distance meters are not intended for use in water, it might be wise to pick a water-resistant option if your work environment includes a lot of water and the possibility of getting your item wet.
It is also essential that you understand what kind of measurements you want to take and whether your laser tape measure is going to allow you to do so. Besides length, you can also use your unit to find the area and volume of a space or room.
Some laser distance meters also give you a Pythagorean mode, which provides you with additional measurements using the Pythagorean theorem. You can make use of this when you cannot measure the unknown length directly but can find the length of the other two sides of the right-angled triangle. This could be because of an obstruction in the line of sight of the desired length. Whether you are a construction worker or an architect, these measurements can be crucial for your work.
Important Advice for Using a Laser Tape Measure
As great as a laser tape measure is, it does have a few limitations that you must keep in mind. Whenever you are using any measuring instrument, it is crucial that you follow the product manual instructions closely for two main reasons. Firstly, you can only make accurate, precise, and reliable readings where you use the measuring instrument the right way. The second reason is that depending on what kind of device you are dealing with, there could be safety issues and considerations to take note of.
There are a few things you need to know when you want to use a laser tape measure to measures various lengths at work or at home. This instrument must be only used for measuring purposes and not as a toy. The laser beam should not be pointed at people, animals, and especially not at their eyes because it can be harmful.
You should never use this laser distance measurer in an environment where there are flammable liquids and explosives because the laser beam could potentially ignite a fire.
You may still have some questions concerning how to use a laser tape measure and how best to make accurate and precise measurements with it. You can see answers to the FAQs below.
- What are the best brands for a laser tape measure? Bosch and Tacklife are two of the more popular brands.
- How accurate is a laser tape measure? Accuracy can range a lot. Some units are accurate to +/- 1/8 inches or 1/16 inches.
- How do lasers measure? The unit calculates the distance using the speed of the light bee=am and the time it takes for it to hit the endpoint.
- Are laser measures worth it? Yes, they are a good investment. They’re easier to use than the traditional tape measures, and they are also more accurate and quicker.
Finding the perfect laser distance measurer is no easy feat. It was a tight race. We had to compare dozens of the best laser tape measures to find the best of the best. We reviewed excellent products you might want to consider. We rated the DTAPE DT100 as the best budget option, the Bosch GLM400CL is the best option for outdoor use and the Leica DISTO D2 as the overall winner.