We research in-depth and provide unbiased reviews and recommendations on the best products. We strive to give you the most accurate information. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Starting a handyman business from scratch can be daunting, but it’s not impossible. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- First, make sure you have the right tools and equipment. You’ll need a toolbox, ladder, drill, saws, screwdriver set, and more.
- Next, create a business plan and marketing strategy. Figure out who your target market is and how you will reach them.
- Finally, make sure you have the proper insurance and licenses in place.
What it takes to start a handyman business
Before you hang up your shingle and start advertising your handyman business, there are a few things you need to do to get started.
- First, you need to develop a list of services that you’re going to offer. This will help potential customers know what to expect from your business, and it will also help you determine what equipment and supplies you’ll need.
- Next, you need to put together a pricing list for your services. Be sure to be competitive, but also be sure to account for your time and expenses.
- Finally, you need to create some marketing materials. A simple website and some business cards should suffice. Once you’ve got all of this in order, you’ll be ready to start finding customers and growing your business.
The cost of starting a handyman business
Starting a handyman business can be a great way to be your own boss and earn a good income. However, there are some costs involved in getting started.
- You will need to purchase insurance to protect yourself and your business. This is important in case of any accidents that may occur while you are working.
- You will need to buy tools and supplies. You may be able to get some of these second-hand, but it is important to make sure that they are in good condition.
- You will need to advertise your business. You can do this by passing out flyers or placing ads in local newspapers.
How to get your first clients as a handyman
When you’re first starting out as a handyman, it can be difficult to know where to find clients. While there are many ways to market your business, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start by asking friends and family if they know anyone who needs your services. They may be able to provide you with a few leads to get you started.
- Attend local home and garden shows. This is a great way to meet potential customers and get your name out there.
- Place flyers around town or in local businesses. Be sure to include your contact information so that interested people can reach out to you.
- Create a website or blog for your business. This is a great way to showcase your work and attract new clients.
What services you should offer as a handyman
Handymen provide a valuable service to homeowners and businesses by offering a wide range of repair and maintenance services. In order to be successful, it is important to offer a well-rounded selection of services that meet the needs of your target market. Some of the most popular services offered by handymen include painting, drywall repair, carpentry, and appliance repair.
Other handymen may also offer electrical work, plumbing, or landscaping services. By offering a comprehensive selection of services, you can maximize your chances of winning repeat business from satisfied customers. In addition, by staying up-to-date on the latest trends in home improvement, you can ensure that your business remains relevant and in demand.
How to price your services as a handyman
As a handyman, you have the unique opportunity to set your own prices for services. However, pricing your services can be tricky. If you charge too little, you may not be able to make a profit. If you charge too much, you may priced yourself out of the market. So how do you find the right balance? Here are a few tips:
- Start by considering your costs. Make sure to account for your time, materials, and overhead expenses. Once you have a clear understanding of your costs, you can start to set your prices.
- Research the competition. See what other handymen in your area are charging for similar services. This will give you a good starting point for setting your prices.
- Consider the value of your services. What are your customers getting for their money? Are you providing high-quality workmanship? Are you offering any guarantees or warranties? The value of your services should be reflected in your prices.
How to market your handyman business
When it comes to marketing your handyman business, the key is to focus on your target audience. Start by identifying your ideal customer, and then tailor your marketing efforts to appeal to them. For example, if you’re targeting busy homeowners, you might want to run ads in local publications or offer discounts for customers who book multiple services at once. whatever approach you take, make sure your marketing is consistent with the image you want to project for your business. If you come across as professional and reliable, you’re more likely to attract new customers and grow your business.
Should you have a website for your handyman business?
In the age of the Internet, more and more businesses are staking their claim on the World Wide Web. While it’s true that a website can be a great marketing tool, there are also a few potential downside to consider before taking the plunge.
For example, designing and maintaining a website can be time-consuming and expensive. If you’re not careful, you could end up spending more time on your website than actually working on handyman jobs. In addition, potential customers may not be able to find your website if it’s not well-designed or optimized for search engines.
On the other hand, a website can be a great way to showcase your work, post testimonials from satisfied customers, and provide potential customers with an easy way to get in touch. When weighing the pros and cons, only you can decide if a website is right for your handyman business.
How to get good reviews as a handyman
If you’re a handyman, good reviews are essential to your success. They provide potential customers with peace of mind, knowing that you’re a reliable and trustworthy contractor. But how do you get those all-important five-star reviews?
Here are four tips:
- First, start by doing a great job. This may seem obvious, but it’s the most important step. If you do a shoddy job, no amount of marketing or customer service will overcome that. So take pride in your work and make sure it meets (or even exceeds) your customer’s expectations.
- Second, be communicative. Keep your customer in the loop throughout the project, letting them know what’s been done and what still needs to be done. This will give them a better sense of the project’s progress and help manage their expectations.
- Third, be flexible. If something comes up that prevents you from completing the project on time, let your customer know as soon as possible. And if there’s anything they can do to help, offer to do it (within reason). This shows that you’re willing to go the extra mile to get the job done right.
The top 10 things that will kill your handyman business
- Not having a clear business plan.
- Not having the proper insurance.
- Not knowing your target market.
- Not having a marketing strategy.
- Not being able to do the work yourself.
- Not being honest with your customers.
- Overcharging or undercharging for your services.
- Not having a website or online presence.
- Not keeping up with technology.
- Trying to do it all yourself.
If you want to be a successful handyman, avoid making these 10 mistakes! Have a clear business plan, know your target market, carry the proper insurance, and invest in marketing.
How to avoid getting sued as a handyman
Being a handyman is a great way to make some extra money, but it comes with a certain amount of risk. If you’re not careful, you could easily find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit. To avoid getting sued, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
- First and foremost, always make sure that you have insurance. If something goes wrong and someone gets hurt, you could be held liable.
- Secondly, be sure to get everything in writing. If a client asks you to do something that you’re not comfortable with, make sure that they sign off on it in writing. This will protect you if something goes wrong.
- Finally, always err on the side of caution. If you’re not sure about something, don’t do it. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
What insurance do you need for your handyman business?
When starting a handyman business, it’s important to make sure you’re properly insured. After all, accidents can happen, and you don’t want to be stuck with a huge bill if something goes wrong. There are four main types of insurance you should consider: property damage, liability, workers’ compensation, and business interruption.
Property damage insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing equipment if it’s damaged in an accident. Liability insurance protects you from lawsuits if someone is injured while using your services. Workers’ compensation pays for medical expenses and lost wages if an employee is injured on the job.
And business interruption insurance covers lost income if your business has to shut down for some time due to an accident or natural disaster. Choosing the right mix of insurance policies will give you peace of mind knowing that you and your business are protected in case of an emergency.
Do you need a license to start a handyman business?
Starting a handyman business can be a great way to tap into the growing demand for home improvement and repair services. However, before you hang out your shingle, it’s important to make sure that you have all the necessary licenses and permits in place.
Depending on the state in which you plan to operate, you may need to obtain a general business license, as well as a license for any specialized trade work that you will be performing. You may also need to complete a criminal background check and/or hold liability insurance. By taking the time to research the licensing requirements in your area, you can help ensure that your handyman business gets off to a smooth start.
What kind of vehicle do you need for your handyman business?
When it comes to choosing a vehicle for your handyman business, there are a few things you need to take into account.
- First, consider the size of your vehicle. You’ll need enough space to store your tools and supplies, but you don’t want something so large that it’s difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Second, think about fuel efficiency. You’ll be doing a lot of driving, so you’ll want to choose a vehicle that won’t eat up your gas budget.
- Finally, make sure your vehicle is equipped with the right safety features. Handyman work can be dangerous, so you’ll want to have airbags and other safety features in case of an accident.
What tools and equipment do you need for your handyman business?
Before you can start your handyman business, you will need to gather the essential tools and equipment. This includes everything from basic hand tools to more specialized power tools. Some of the must-have items for any handyman business include a good set of screwdrivers, a hammer, a tape measure, a level, and a drill.
You will also need a variety of fasteners, such as nails and screws, and some basic electrical supplies. Depending on the nature of your business, you may also need additional items, such as ladders, saws, and other power tools. By taking the time to assemble the right set of tools and equipment, you can ensure that your handyman business is well-equipped to handle any job that comes its way.
How to set up your home office for your handyman business
Handyman businesses are becoming increasingly popular, as more and more people look for ways to earn extra income. If you’re thinking of starting your own handyman business, one of the first things you’ll need to do is set up a home office. This doesn’t have to be a major undertaking; in fact, there are a few simple steps you can take to get your home office up and running in no time.
- One of the most important things to consider when setting up your home office is storage. Since you’ll be dealing with tools and materials, it’s important to have a place to keep them organized and out of the way. A good storage solution for your home office could be something as simple as a cabinet or shelving unit.
- Another important consideration for your home office is lighting. Since you’ll likely be working on projects that require precision, good lighting is essential. Natural light is always best, so try to set up your office near a window if possible. If not, make sure to invest in some high-quality artificial lighting.
- Finally, you’ll need to create a comfortable working environment in your home office.
How to stay organized as a handyman
As a handyman, you are responsible for a wide variety of tasks, from fixing leaky faucets to painting walls. Staying organized is key to ensuring that you can complete all of your tasks in a timely and efficient manner. One way to stay organized is to create a work schedule and stick to it.
Make sure to allow enough time for each task, and be sure to factor in time for breaks. You should also invest in a good toolbox, and label all of your tools so that you can easily find them when you need them. In addition, it is helpful to keep a notebook in which you can jot down notes and ideas. By following these simple tips, you can stay organized and get the most out of your workday.
What to do when you get a big project as a handyman
When you get a big project as a handyman, the first thing you need to do is break it down into smaller tasks. This will help you stay organized and focused as you work. Make sure to clearly label each task so that you can easily find what you need to work on next.
Additionally, be sure to set aside plenty of time to complete the project. This will help reduce stress and ensure that you don’t have to rush through the job. Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Many hands make light work, and having an extra set of hands can help you get the job done quickly and efficiently.
How to hire employees for your handyman business
When it comes to hiring employees for your handyman business, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
- You’ll want to make sure that you’re only considering candidates who have the necessary skills and experience. There’s no point in bringing someone on board who isn’t qualified to do the work.
- It’s important to find individuals who are trustworthy and reliable. After all, you’ll be entrusting them with keys to customers’ homes and businesses.
- You’ll want to be sure that your employees share your commitment to providing excellent customer service.
Handyman work can be unpredictable, and your team will need to be able to adapt on the fly and always put the customer first. By keeping these factors in mind, you can be sure that you’re hiring the best possible employees for your business.
How to train your employees
As any business owner knows, employee training is essential for ensuring that your staff has the skills and knowledge needed to do their jobs effectively. However, training can also be a financial investment, and it can be difficult to justify the cost when there are other demands on your budget. Fortunately, there are a few simple steps you can take to make sure that your employees get the most out of their training.
- Clearly define the goals of the training program and communicate these to your staff. This will help them understand what they need to achieve and stay focused during the sessions.
- Choose a trainer who is experienced and qualified in delivering the type of training you require.
- Provide opportunities for employees to practice their new skills on the job.
How to fire an employee from your handyman business
Firing an employee is never an easy decision, but sometimes it’s necessary to protect your business. As a handyman, you may find yourself in the position of having to fire an employee for a variety of reasons, from poor performance to inappropriate behavior. Whatever the reason, it’s important to handle the situation correctly to minimize legal risk and maintain good relations with your other employees.
- Make sure that you have a clear and objective basis for firing the employee. Documentation is key here – if you can’t point to specific instances of poor performance or misconduct, it will be more difficult to defend your decision if the employee challenges it.
- Be sure to follow any internal policies and procedures that you have in place for terminating employees. If you don’t have such policies in place, consult with an attorney or HR specialist to develop them.
- When delivering the news to the employee, be professional and direct. Avoid getting into a heated argument or making personal attacks.
How to deal with difficult clients
Anyone who has worked in customer service knows that dealing with difficult clients is just part of the job. However, there are some strategies you can use to diffuse a tense situation and turn a difficult client into a satisfied one.
- It’s important to stay calm and avoid taking the bait when a client starts to get angry. This can be difficult, but it’s important to remember that the customer is not mad at you – they’re just frustrated with the situation.
- Try to see things from the customer’s perspective and empathize with their situation. This doesn’t mean that you have to agree with them, but it does mean trying to understand where they’re coming from.
- Offer solutions instead of excuses. If a client feels like you’re working with them to find a resolution, they’ll be much more likely to stay calm and work with you.
What to do when you get a bad review as a handyman
No one likes getting a bad review, but it’s especially frustrating when you’re a skilled tradesman who takes pride in your work. If you find yourself on the receiving end of a negative review, there are a few things you can do to mitigate the damage.
First and foremost, take a deep breath and try to see the situation from the customer’s perspective. It’s possible that they had unrealistic expectations or that there was a miscommunication about the scope of the project. In any case, try to reach out to the customer directly and see if there’s anything you can do to make things right.
If the situation can’t be resolved, the next best thing you can do is use the bad review as an opportunity to improve your business. Take a close look at what went wrong and make changes so that you can avoid similar issues in the future. With a little effort, you can turn a negative experience into a positive one.
How to raise your rates as a handyman
As a handyman, you are always in high demand. You are the go-to person for any repair work around the house. From fixing a broken sink to unclogging a toilet, you have the skills and knowledge to get the job done quickly and efficiently. But as your business grows, you may find yourself wondering if it’s time to raise your rates. Here are a few things to consider before deciding to raise your rates:
- The cost of living: As the cost of living goes up, so should your rates. This will ensure that you are still making a livable wage while keeping up with the rising cost of goods and services.
- The competition: Take a look at what other handymen in your area are charging for their services. If you are significantly lower than the average, it may be time to raise your rates. However, if you are already at or above the average, you may not need to make any changes.
- Your experience: If you have been in business for several years and have built up a strong client base, you may be able to charge more than someone who is just starting.
What services you can offer as an upsell for your handyman business
As a handyman, you offer a wide range of services to your customers. But what happens when they need something that falls outside of your area of expertise? Rather than referring them to another business, you can offer an upsell. By expanding the services you offer, you can keep your customers happy and coming back for more.
One popular upsell for handymen is home security system installation. With the rise of smart home technology, more and more people are looking for ways to secure their homes. As a result, home security system installation is a growing market. If you can offer this service, you can increase your revenue and give your customers the peace of mind they need.
Another upsell that handymen can offer is gutter cleaning. This is an essential service for any homeowner, as it helps to prevent water damage to the home. Gutter cleaning can be a messy and dangerous job, so it’s often best left to the professionals.
How to expand your handyman business
A handyman business is a great way to be your boss and earn a good living. But like any business, it takes effort to expand your operation and bring in more customers.
Here are some tips for growing your handyman business:
- Get organized and professional. When customers call, make sure you have a system in place for recording their information and scheduling appointments. This will give them confidence in your business and make you more efficient.
- Advertise in local publications. Handyman businesses are usually service-based, so reach out to your community with ads in newspapers, flyers, and online directories. Be sure to include your contact information and a brief description of your services.
- Offer discounts and promotions. To attract new customers, offer discounts on your services or promote special deals through social media or word-of-mouth marketing. You can also offer referral bonuses to customers who recommend you to their friends or family members.
- Hire additional staff. As your business grows, you may need to hire additional handymen or support staff to keep up with demand. This will help you serve more customers and free up your time so you can focus on expanding your business even further.
How to franchise your handyman business
Franchising your handyman business can be a great way to expand your brand and reach a wider audience. But before you take the plunge, there are a few things you need to consider.
- First, you’ll need to create a comprehensive business plan that outlines your goals, strategies, and financial projections. This will not only help you get funding from potential investors, but it will also give you a roadmap for success.
- Next, you’ll need to choose the right franchise model. There are several different models to choose from, so it’s important to select one that best fits your needs and goals.
- Finally, you’ll need to put together a solid marketing plan. This will ensure that your franchise is visible to potential customers and that you’re able to attract the right kind of attention. With careful planning and execution, franchising your handyman business can be a great way to achieve your growth goals.
How to sell your handyman business
If you’re thinking of selling your handyman business, there are a few things you need to do to ensure you get the best price.
- First, it’s important to put together a comprehensive list of all the equipment and tools you own. This will give potential buyers an accurate picture of the value of your business.
- Next, you need to create a detailed prospects list, which includes information on all the potential customers you have worked with in the past. This will show buyers that your business has a steady stream of work.
- Finally, be sure to have a solid marketing plan in place. This will demonstrate to buyers that your business is well-positioned for growth.
Succession planning for your handyman business
For any business owner, succession planning is an important part of ensuring the long-term success of the company. This is especially true for those in the handyman business, where the skills and knowledge of the owner are often the keys to success. When it comes time to retire or move on to other ventures, you’ll want to make sure that your business is in good hands.
The first step is to identify a successor who shares your passion for the business and has the necessary skills to carry it forward. Once you’ve found the right person, take the time to train them in all aspects of the business, from marketing and sales to financial management and administration.
What are the exit strategies for a handyman business?
When it comes to running a small business, an exit strategy is often an afterthought. But for handyman businesses, having a plan for exiting the business is just as important as any other aspect of the operation. There are a few different options when it comes to exit strategy, and the best option will depend on the individual circumstances of the business.
- One option is to simply sell the business. This can be done through a private sale or by listing the business for sale online or in a broker’s office.
- Another option is to hand the business down to a family member or employee. This can be an attractive option for businesses that have been in operation for many years and have built up a strong reputation in the community.
- Finally, another option is to simply close up shop and retire. This can be a good choice for those who are ready to retire or who no longer have the desire to run a business.
How to start a non-profit handyman business
If you’re handy with tools and enjoy helping people, starting a non-profit handyman business could be a great way to give back to your community. While there’s a lot of work involved in getting started, the rewards can be well worth it. Here’s what you need to do to get started:
1. First, you’ll need to choose a focus for your business. What type of repairs or maintenance do you want to offer? Be sure to choose an area that you’re passionate about and have experience with.
2. Next, you’ll need to create a business plan. This will help you map out the financial side of your business and set some goals for yourself.
3. Once you have a plan in place, it’s time to start marketing your business. Let your friends and family know what you’re up to, and consider reaching out to local organizations that may need your services.
4. Finally, don’t forget to stay organized and keep track of your finances. This will help ensure that your non-profit handyman business is successful for years to come.
How to start a for-profit handyman
For anyone looking to start their own business, the handyman industry can be a great choice. Not only is there a steady demand for services, but the barriers to entry are relatively low. With that said, there are still some things you need to do to set yourself up for success. Here’s a quick rundown of what you need to do to start your own for-profit handyman business:
1. Get the proper licenses and insurance. Depending on your location, you may need to obtain a business license and liability insurance. This will protect you if something goes wrong while you’re working.
2. Invest in quality tools and equipment. You don’t need to break the bank, but it’s important to have the right tools for the job. This will make your life easier and help you deliver quality work to your clients.
3. Promote your business. Once you’re up and running, you need to let people know that you’re available for work. Create some marketing materials and get the word out in your community.
Running a successful handyman business takes a lot of hard work, but it can be very rewarding. To get started, you’ll need to choose a focus for your business and create a business plan. You’ll also need to market your business and invest in quality tools and equipment.
Running a successful handyman business takes a lot of hard work, but it can be very rewarding. To get started, you’ll need to choose a focus for your business and create a business plan. You’ll also need to market your business and invest in quality tools and equipment.
When you’re first starting, it’s important to get the proper licenses and insurance. This will protect you if something goes wrong while you’re working. You should also invest in quality tools and equipment so that you can deliver quality work to your clients. And finally, don’t forget to promote your business so that people in your community know that you’re available for work.
1. How much money do I need to start a handyman business?
You will need to have a significant amount of money saved up in order to start a handyman business. This is because you will need to purchase all of the necessary tools and equipment, as well as pay for any licenses or permits that may be required in your area. Additionally, you will need to have enough money to cover your living expenses for at least the first few months of operation, as it is unlikely that you will be generating a significant income right away.
2. What kind of tools and equipment do I need?
The type of tools and equipment you will need will depend on the services you intend to offer. However, there are some basics that every handyman business should have, such as a power drill, a screwdriver set, a hammer, and a toolbox. Additionally, you will need to have a vehicle that is large enough to transport your tools and equipment to and from job sites.
3. Do I need any licenses or permits?
Again, this will depend on the services you intend to offer and the laws in your area. However, it is always best to check with your local government to see if there are any special licenses or permits required for running a handyman business.
4. How do I price my services?
Pricing your services can be tricky, as you want to be competitive but also make a profit. One way to determine your rates is to find out what other handyman businesses in your area are charging for similar services. You can also use online tools to get an estimate of what customers in your area are willing to pay. Once you have determined your rates, be sure to stick to them and do not undercharge or overcharge for your services.
5. How can I market my handyman business?
There are many ways to market a handyman business. One of the best ways is to create a website and list your services online. You can also distribute flyers and business cards in your local community. Additionally, you can offer discounts or promotions to first-time customers.