The DWS779 and DWS780 are two Dewalt miter saws. They are each from the 12-inch saw tool class and is considered the best miter saws out there.
In fact, they’re an upgrade from the chop saw and radial arm saw. If your search has brought you to these two miter saws, you are in luck because they are both versatile.
There’s no need to worry about either of these two products because they work accurately. If you are a woodworker, you deal with wooden materials every day and need something with appropriate miter cuts.
You don’t necessarily have to pick between the two miter saws, though you want something that meets your needs and has the right cutting performance. Both of them feature a 12-inch double bevel, but they aren’t the same saw.
The Dewalt DWS780 miter saw and the Dewalt DWS779 are very similar, but they also have various unique abilities. Therefore, it’s important to understand the differences and compare them to see which one is right for you.
Dewalt DWS779 Vs. DWS780 – A Quick Comparison Review
Finally, you have two models to pick from. Your search for a miter saw is nearing its close because they both have extra features sold separately, impressive speed, and a dust chute. Find out which one has the extended power you need:
The Sliding Compound Miter Saw (DWS779) offers a 3-year warranty and an efficient dust collection system. This product has a 15-amp motor and a great guiding system with the XPS cross-cut technology. Apart from that, it offers a weight much less than its counterpart.
The Dewalt DWS780 miter saw also includes a 3-year warranty and can deliver appropriate cuts. With that, it features a great guiding system with XPS cross-cut technology. Along with that, it weighs much less and comes with a dust chute. However, the extra cost could put some people over the top.
Dewalt DWS779 Vs. DWS780 – Full Reviews
When deciding between these two models, it’s important to understand everything you can about the DWS779 and DWS780 miter saws. Your search led you here, and now you want to know it all so that you can make an informed decision.
DWS779 12-inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
The Dewalt DWS779 is a great machine. It features a dust-collection system that captures 75 percent or more of the dust you create. With that, it features positive stops just like its counterpart.
- Capable of cutting 16 inches straight
- 3-year warranty
- Cam-lock miter handle included
- Carbide blade
- Bright LED light
- Machined base fence support
- 3800 RPM
- Odd dust collector size
- This miter saw is portable and features a traditional laser guide system.
- You get a precise miter system with this 12-inch miter saw. Along with that, the precise miter system makes all the difference when you’re working.
- There is a machined base fence support included.
- This machine has a stainless steel miter detent plate.
- It cuts lumber at 90 degrees to the right with an amazing 50 degrees to the left and also cuts 45 degrees for lumber at 2×12 inches.
- The saw blade of the Dewalt sliding compound miter offers better accuracy, and there’s a laser cutting guide.
- The dimensions are 2x23x18.5 inches.
- You get a cam-lock miter handle, and it’s fully equipped.
Those who want to use this on the job site must have a power source at all times. The stainless steel miter detent plate is ideal for many users and includes fence design cuts. You can also find additional features with other accessories.
DWS780 12-inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
The Dewalt DWS780 has everything you need to work. Most users find that this tool can help them cut smoothly and effortlessly without affecting precision. With that, there’s no such thing as not being durable when cutting.
- 3-year warranty
- Increased vertical cutting capacity
- Carbide blade
- An efficient dust collection system
- Portable with the handle
- Cuts at various angles
- More expensive
- The Dewalt DWS780 has a weight of 56 pounds.
- This machine has positive stops at various angles for bevel adjustments and miter needs.
- The Dewalt DWS780 Double Bevel Sliding Compound Saw offers a cross-cut alignment system that uses a very bright light along the blade to cast a shadow.
- This is a great power tool for the price and comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- You’re sure to appreciate the efficient dust collection system of the Dewalt DWS780.
- It has a cutline blade positioning system and a strong cutting capacity.
- Ultimately, the 15-amp motor works in any port.
- The gearbox and belt drive design help with its cutting capacity.
- The back fence accommodates dimensional lumber at 2×14 and cuts at 60 degrees.
- It has a cam-lock plate.
Those who like the 15 amp motor can appreciate this saw. It is durable, and the price isn’t that bad. There’s plenty of things you can do with this model. Make sure you follow appropriate safety procedures and keep your workpiece locked into place.
Dewalt Miter Saw Buyer’s Guide
The DWS779 and DWS780 have many similar features between the models. It’s important to know everything you can so that you have the right information to decide:
What Similarities Are There for the Dws779 vs. DWS780?
- Both are made by the Dewalt brand, which is well-known. As a result, both miter saws use high-quality materials for durability and strength.
- These tool saws are very user-friendly and have a 3-year limited warranty. If they become faulty, you can return them for a replacement or refund.
- With the dual bevel system, both have a miter capacity of 60 degrees (right) and 50 degrees (left). Plus, they offer tall sliding fence support, a great back fence design, and a dented plate with the cam lock to ensure precision and accurate cuts.
- The power supply of both cutting systems is durable, and the miter saws are powered by electricity.
- Both models can cut stock of the same size and have a similar maximum capacity.
- The models can handle heavier woodworking projects. They cut through the toughest wood because of the carbide blade and are suitable for professionals and beginners.
- They both feature a 15-amp motor. Plus, the blades rotate and have speeds of up to 3800 RPM.
- Each model offers a blade wrench and material clamp.
- The blade size and blade diameter are the same, and there’s a vertical capacity of 6.75 inches for each.
- The dust collection system and mechanism for each are the same. With that, both miter saws have a dust bag and material clamp. You also get an oversized bevel scale for more accuracy.
- Both have a dual bevel, and a miter that can easily be adjusted. The adjustable angles are similar, as well because they have the same size, width, and length.
- There’s a nested crown capacity of 7.5 inches on both machines.
- They both have a blade guard and miter saw stand for more control. The blades are both 12 inches in diameter and capable of cutting dimensional lumber at 90 degrees.
- Customer service is excellent. When you call customer service during business hours, you talk to someone who knows what they’re doing.
- The power from the 15 amp motors allows the miter saws to cut with a similar level of effectiveness.
- They both come with a guard to prevent particles from flying across the room, so if you’re beginning your journey, they are great tools to have.
Dewalt Dws779 vs. DWS780 – What Are the Main Differences?
There are so many similarities between the DWS780 and DWS779. Dewalt wanted two saws that looked similar but had different features. Both Dewalt miter saws are ideal for use, but the DWS780 is like an upgrade of the two.
Therefore, some of its advanced features are better. Let’s take a look at different factors to see the differences between them:
Generally, you can pay less for the DWS779, so there’s an advantage there. It’s more affordable and costs about $100 less than the DWS780.
The difference in price is because the DWS780 is more advanced. However, just because the DWS779 is cheaper doesn’t mean it doesn’t have good value for money. Yes, it’s more affordable, and you can outperform the DWS780 at times.
Therefore, you can spend less, get something cheaper, and still have a durable motor and a model that does everything you need.
One significant difference between each model is that the DWS780 has a bright LED light with the blade and the DWS779 utilizes an XPS light. It also offers a cut-line blade position system that can easily be adjusted so that you enjoy the free cutting line indicator.
Many users prefer an LED light compared to lasers. That’s because the LED light is properly positioned and the laser guide system could get knocked out of position when cutting. Plus, the LED light projects a shadow line for the blade’s teeth, and the laser guide system does not.
This means that your cuts could be a bit off with the laser systems. The laser-cut line might get lost in the LED light.
Another big issue with laser beams is that they function better at nighttime. With the dust and noise flying around, it can overwhelm the senses and could affect accuracy.
The DWS779 is much heavier at 67 pounds, but the DWS780 is lighter and weighs 56 pounds. Therefore, it’s easy to carry around and is more portable than the other model.
Miter Detent Plate?
The miter detent plate settings are also a huge difference between each model. The DWS780 uses a stainless steel version with a cam lock, but the DWS779 uses a lever camp with 10 positive stops.
With that, the DWS779 offers a double horizontal rail and an innovative clamping device. You have more accuracy with cutting because of that linear ball bearing. There are no linear ball bearings with the DWS780, and it uses a rail lock to improve its vertical cutting capacity. You also have a better angle adjustment because of the cam-lock miter button.
However, the difference in miter detent plate is a matter of preference. You get an excellent clamping system in either case, so there is no hassle when using it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use the XPS System with Your Dewalt Sliding Miter?
Yes, you can use an XPS system for either model. You can add LED lights with your saw if they aren’t compatible with laser light. However, comparing them both, the XPS system fits well with the DWS779 models because there’s a wider space below its grip.
Which One Should You Use to Cut Fiberglass Rods?
Generally, the miter is there to cut hardwood and metal. However, many people find that the performance of each saw was similar when cutting fiberglass.
What’s the Difference between the Types?
With any miter saw, the type indicates the texture. The saw blade must be designed carefully to slide in and be sharp. Therefore, the type focuses on the structural design and its ability to perform well. Upgraded designs and mechanisms have higher “types.”
Which Stands Are Recommended?
There are supposed to stand with each product, but you must pay for them separately. Therefore, you should buy the one that gives you more convenience. Rolling stands are often best here.
DWS780 vs. DWS779 Conclusion – The Top Pick
The top pick here is the DWS779, and it’s a consideration for beginners everywhere. It has practically everything you need for your project, including a great crosscutting capacity and the ability to make bevel cuts. That way, you don’t have to flip the piece over to cut the other side.
The Sliding Compound Miter Saw could be the best miter saw on the market for your woodworking needs. Just follow the directions, and you’re set, creating just about anything you want.
When purchasing a miter saw, an LED light isn’t a necessity, and many projects don’t require it. While the 780 version uses it, it’s the only upgrade to the whole thing. In fact, the LED lighting makes it more expensive.
You can use the DWS779 from Dewalt straight out of the box. What are you waiting for?